Monday, April 9, 2012

The Road to World Domination

Once more, this blog is changing direction. I've been getting increasingly interested in athletic nutrition, thus started paying more attention to the nutritional value of things. I'm nowhere near the professional athlete level where nutrition is tuned to a milligram; it's more of an interest in general healthy eating. However at the level of exercising I'm at, I'm forced to think about nutrition to be able to recover quickly enough to keep up the training.
Last week's discovery - a "dense" meal is not necessarily as filling as a "light" one. I've been surprised at not being hungry 4 hours after eating a salad (lettuce + bell pepper + carrot + cucumber + daikon + walnuts + raisins, olive and sesame oils + balsamic vinegar as dressing). The problem is, being the phony vegetarian I am, I actually don't like lettuce or bell peppers... But that is another story entirely.

Anyhow, the pinnacle of sport nutrition - energy bars! That's right, for people who need gratuitous  amounts of energy. I've seen recipes for home-made granola bars before, but they included 20 different ingridients and fairly complex cooking procedures.
The Thrive Diet book I've mentioned in the last post contains a few energy bar recipes and an indisputable advantage of simplicity - cooking instructions come down to "blend everything in a food processor, shape into bars, wrap in plastic and freeze." While there is half a dozen recipes there, as long as you put hemp protein and ground flax seeds, you get the bragging rights of a thriver.

No comments:

Post a Comment