Sunday, May 24, 2009

On the road: veg*n resolutions

In two days the name of this blog will take a much more literal sense: I'm going on a month and a half bicycle touring and camping trip in the Gaspesie and the Maritimes, followed by a few weeks of volunteering at a biology field research and the ride back to Montreal from New Brunswick.

While I try to avoid animal products and ingredients when in Montreal, on the road it might prove tricky. I'm planning to keep away from "dead food," as in meat, fish, etc; I'll be trying to maintain a vegan diet through the summer, but the restricted cooking facilities (a methyl alcohol stove, one small pot and a tiny frying pan) and complete lack of refrigiration will probably force me into dairy- and possibly egg-eating.

My initial food supplies consist of:
2 cans of beans in maple syrup sauce
1 can of lentils
4 medium size potatoes
1/2 pack of pasta (will be enough for two meals)
bread
olive oil
wallnuts and almonds
spices: basil, thyme, cinnamon, salt, pepper
some emergency packs of dry ramen and energy bars

Although most of these things will be easy to buy almost anywhere I'm heading, eating them over and over for three months will probably drive me crazy and I'll end up hunting porcupines (because apparently they are the only animal that can be eaten raw) and swear off vegetables for the rest of my life. So the success of keeping the trip vegan will depend mostly on availability of the food.

Stay tuned for the irregular veggie road updates! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment